Monday, October 30, 2017

Butterfly Charm Block Week 1

Well we did it!!!! We got through our first week on our very first paper piece project ever!!!!

So let me tell you a little bit about this week went down haha. At first I was super scared. I had all my pieces cut out and I sat there staring at them. I was just So intimidated.  Took a couple of deep breathes and took a swig from my soda and said...... "Let's do this".

So I thought I remembered to do everything I had watched on the YouTube tutorials that I found from Connecting Threads and I jumped in. Started on section A like the instructions said and put my fabric pieces behind it and away I start sewing on the line between section 1 and 2........ Yup ok something is off here..... Oh I forgot to make sure the fabric was facing the right directions.........Derp........Out comes the seam ripper.

*Note 1- Back of fabric 1 should be up against back of pattern. fabric 2 should be facing so both fabric pieces are facing right side of fabric together

This time I make sure my fabric is facing the right directions and away I start sewing again... restitching the line between 1 and 2 got to fold my paper to cut my seam allowance and realize section 2 fabric is facing the wrong way for the seam allowance and almost cut most the fabric off.................ooops Double Derp......Out comes the seam ripper once again.

*Note 2 - Make sure when placing your fabric pieces after the first one that they are just over the 1/4 inch seam allowance over the line into that section piece working from the previous section you finished.  ex when placing fabric 2 make sure the fabric is hanging 1/4 inch past the 2 line and even with your seam allowance from fabric 1 (hope that made sense)

At this point I went and re watched the videos like 3 times over haha. Ok lets do this again haha.

So after re watching the videos and taking a few more deep breathes needless to say I finally got it and OMG this paper piecing is SOOOOOOOOOO much fun!!!!! I am honestly really happy with how my first butterfly turned out.



I want to add that once I understood the first couple steps this project works up super quickly. If you have wanted to try paper piecing I suggest take a deep breathe and do it. You won't regret it. I can't wait to do more projects like this one.


OH one more thing......your Iron is your best friend in this project. Skipping out on the ironing step can make all the difference in the world when matching your seams up to piece your project together.



I am super excited to start the next one. Here is my color choice for next weeks butterfly.....

Also check out Crystal's Butterfly this week over at Crystalized Designs!! She also picked her favorite color for this weeks butterfly and it turned out beautifully!!


If you’re joining in on the sewing fun, I’d love to see! Feel free to post pictures on or tag me on any social media site!

Have a wonderful day!!!!

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment

Looking Forward.....

As I sit here and dust off the cobwebs to my tiny ghost town of a blog, I am excited to make a fresh start and slowly get back to what...